This better-for-you version of buffalo wings is gluten free, dairy free, and requires significantly less oil than traditional wings! Leslie, our social media manager, made this recipe on our Instagram stories. This recipe should create 1 generous serving or 2 average servings, but it can be easily scaled up to include your whole family!
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- avocado oil
- hot sauce
- lemon juice
- serve with: ranch or blue cheese, carrot sticks, celery, hot sauce...
- In a small bowl mix together the almond flour, tapioca flour, chili powder, paprika, cayenne, and salt and pepper.
- In another small bowl, add the whisked eggs. Set up an assembly line with cubed chicken, eggs, and flour mixture.
- Bread the chicken by dipping it in the egg mixture, making sure it is fully coated.
- Roll in the flour mixture, fully coating and shaking off any excess. Place on a plate and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Place chicken in your air fryer basket, evenly spreading out and leaving room in between pieces so the air can easily flow through.
- If using, spray chicken with a light coating of avocado oil.
- Close drawer, set air fryer on manual at 375°F for 15 minutes, pausing halfway through to stir them up, making sure they are still evenly spread out after stirring.
- Depending on the size of your air fryer, you will probably have to cook the chicken in two batches to make sure they are not overcrowded.
- When the chicken is almost done, make the buffalo sauce. Add hot sauce, ghee, lemon juice, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne, and salt to a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Cook until warmed through and combined, about 3 minutes.
- Once chicken is done, add to a large bowl and pour buffalo sauce over chicken. Carefully mix to coat the chicken.
- Make sure to mix carefully as you don't want the breading to come off. Serve with ranch or blue cheese, carrots, celery, and more hot sauce!
Other recipes you might like