The Italian Beef Sandwich...a tried and true Chicago favorite. It is normally composed of thinly shaved roast beef, topped with sweet or spicy giardiniera peppers, dipped in gravy and served on a french roll. We made this recipe with tender chuck roast in our pressure cooker and lemme tell ya, it's a CONTENDER!
- 3 lbs. chuck roast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups beef broth
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup pepperoncinis, sliced
- 1/3 cup pepperoncini juice
- French rolls (we used bolillo rolls)
- Provolone cheese slices
- Cut the chuck roast into large chunks.
- Mix together all the spices and set aside.
- In the pressure cooker, add the beef broth and then nestle the chunks of chuck roast in the broth.
- Add the spice blend, minced garlic, sliced pepperoncinis, pepperoncini juice and close the top.
- Slide the Pressure Release Switch to SEALING.
- Using the Manual button, cook at High Pressure for 75 minutes.
- Let the pressure cooker naturally release for about 10 minutes and then slide the Pressure Release Switch to VENTING to release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the beef to a bowl and shred. Add in some of the juice and pepperoncinis from the pressure cooker to the shredded meat.
- Now it's time to assemble the sandwiches. Slice the rolls and add in the shredded beef. Top with provolone cheese. Broil. Note: add any additional peppers under the cheese and broil to ensure they stay in place!
- Spoon some of the broth over top of the sandwich or into a small dish to dip! Or, try the entire sandwich dunked in broth- the Chicago way!
Other recipes you might like