A flavorful mustard that you can make at home! Note: recipe must rest for 4-5 weeks before consumption
- ¼ cup yellow mustard seeds
- ¼ cup brown mustard seeds
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch black pepper
- ½ flat teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- Add to a bowl your yellow and brown mustard seeds and cover them with 3/4 cup of the White Vinegar. Let stand for at least 1 hour. You will notice that the vinegar will bubble a bit when it meets the mustard seeds. That’s normal - we want the seeds to get a bit soft.
- Next, we will pound the seeds and if they have lost a bit of liquid, then add about 1-2 tablespoons water to the mixture. To pound with the pestle, add small batches and smash and twist it until most of the yellow seeds have turned into a mush. The brown seeds don’t crack as easily but keep at it! They will crack and emit the flavors.
- In a bowl with the smashed mustard seeds, add the remaining vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and Turmeric powder. Mix well and fill a clean jar with the mustard. Add the oil on top and close the lid.
- Pour mixture into canning jars leaving 1/4-inch head-space. Cover jars with lids and bands and tighten just until finger tight.
- Place rack into Pressure Cooker with jars spaced evenly, not touching each other.
- Lock lid. Select the Canning preset and adjust time down to 20 minutes. When it beeps, use the quick release to release pressure.
- You will need to let it stand for a minimum 4-weeks before you can use it. This grainy mustard paste needs to ferment a bit to develop that whole grain mustard flavor. Let it rest and enjoy!
Other recipes you might like