If you’ve never tried black bean burgers, we highly recommend these. If you absolutely love burgers but are looking for a healthier version, then this is the perfect recipe for you to try.
- 2 cans of seasoned black beans
- 1 cup of seasoned breadcrumbs (can substitute with quinoa)
- ¼ cup of grated white onion
- 1 whole egg
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- Hot sauce
- Swiss cheese (optional)
- Hamburger buns (can substitute with lettuce and make lettuce wrapped burgers)
- Mayonnaise (can substitute with light mayo, avocado mayo, etc.)
- Tomato, sliced
- Use cheese grater to grate a quarter of an onion.
- In a bowl, mash 2 cans of drained black beans. Beans don’t have to be completely mashed. The texture is up to you.
- In the same bowl, add 1 egg, onion shavings, breadcrumbs, chili powder, salt and pepper. We added a dash of hot sauce as well.
- Mash to combine. It might be easier to use hands.
- Shape into patties.
- Place parchment paper in air fryer basket. If you do not have parchment paper, it’s okay! You can go ahead to step 7.
- Place 1 or 2 patties into the air fryer basket (or a pan in the air fryer oven) and brush one side with olive oil.
- Set air fryer at 350 F for 5 minutes.
- Once the 5 minutes are done, take out and flip the patties over. Put back in air fryer and cook for 3 more minutes at the same temperature.
- Optional: if you’d like to add cheese. Place one slice over the patty and cook at 300 F for 1 minute to melt the cheese.
- Build your burger with these delicious black bean patties and enjoy!
Other recipes you might like